January 9, 2009

Priorities...

Some things are just more important than others. I have been teaching Ombudsman Basic Training all week at the base and loving it, except that I am so not used to having to leave my kiddos all day and then come home to all of the stuff that didn't magically get done without me. It's been rough in that respect. As a result, my Christmas tree is still up. We didn't get home until New Year's Day, and then I have been gone all this week, so it's still up. The Christmas boxes are still empty and the table is still overflowing with stuff I don't know what to do with. So many things to do. So what's my priority today?
Rocking my baby. She's sick with a fever and general mal-content. She's sad and she doesn't know why. She's not sleeping, she's not eating, and she's hot. She wants Mommy and no one else will do. So here I sit, typing one handed, with a toddler on my lap, thumb in her mouth and playing with her ear with her other hand, unwilling to move. It's a fake tree, and I like having the Nativities out. They can stay out for a while longer, because today, I am not getting dressed, not opening the curtains, not doing the dishes and not going anywhere. I am rocking my baby. For this moment in time, I get to be her everything and I really can make it better. That won't be the case forever, so today, she is the only thing on my to-do list.

5 comments:

Katidid said...

Good for you! Thanks for reminding me what my priorities should be and making me feel better that my Christmas Decorations are up still too!

Cristine said...

I need to put that on the top of my list more often. My youngest who's 4 still lets me cuddle him and tickle his back. I need to take advantage of it while I have the chance

Annalia said...

Good for you, Allicia! I haven't seen you in forever. I still have Adam's sweater. I need to give it to you while it's still cold out.

L Williamson said...

You are right. They grow up too fast. Hold them while you can, especially when they don't feel well. Our Christmas tree is still up, ad no one seems to mind.

Moore Family said...

Way to go putting the priority list in its "proper" direction and tossing out the to-do list. Hard to do when you got a million things to get accomplished. You are always a marvel!